Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Acadian Fish Dinner - short cut method

Gasp! I'm posting a recipe that isn't a slow cooker recipe!! Although, I'm pretty sure that this can be modified to be a slow cooker recipe. I did this last night.

Acadian Fish Dinner - Becker Short Cut Method

I should have probably set out the fish to defrost sooner, instead of at 12pm. Their frozen-ness added more moisture to the casserole, which was good since we ended up leaving it in a little too long....

But at 12pm-ish, I set out some sole fillets to defrost. Not the skinny fillets either, but the thick ones from M&M's meat shop (we don't believe in getting all of our groceries in one store; some places have better vegetables, one place has better bread, etc).

At 3:00pm, I preheated the oven to 350ยบ.

In a microwaveable casserole dish, I melt 2 Tbsp of butter/margarine.
Then I added 1 Tbsp of flour and stirred to coat well. Heated in microwave for 2 minutes.
added 3/4 cups of milk and 1 tsp of salt. Microwaved for 1 minute.

Added 1 pressed garlic clove, 2 Tbsp of dried onion, 3 cups of thinly slice potatoes and 1 1/2 cups of thinly sliced carrots.

Covered dish and cooked in oven for 30 minutes.
Since there was not a lot of liquid, I kept the lid on and cooked for another 30 minutes.
Then I lay the fish on top and cooked until the fish was done. If the fish had been fully defrosted, I would have covered with 1 Tbsp of oil.

It was pretty good. I think that the fish should have been in with the sauce, as to get some of the flavour, but it was still pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment