Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Chicken Korma and Coconut Rice

My belly is so full from this one! Once again, this is a slow cooker recipe. I like slow cookers.


The Coconut Rice was done following the advice from kiminari on LiveJournal: I soaked coconut meat in water over night (and even throughout the day) before using the water to cook balsamic rice. Some of the coconut got into the rice, but was just extra coconuty-ness. 1 cup dry rice, plus 2 cups coconut-soaked water, oven at 250 for a little over half an hour.

This morning, I put together the Chicken Korma, which was a pre-made curry mix, yet again, which I added a can of light coconut milk and six chicken breasts (skinless, boneless, from M&Ms) in the huge slow cooker. I set it for 5 hours on Low heat, and then walked away.

Well, I came back every once in a while to stir it, and at the end of the 5 hour cooking, when the cooker switched to "warming" (it maintains the food's warmth, but not cooking), I put in about 2 cups of frozen peaches and cream corn.

Now that I think about it, potatoes and broccoli would have been interesting to try in this too. Especially because it turned out to be a little watery. If not adding those, then I think next time I'll try to put in only half a can of coconut milk, since apparently the korma sauce does water-out from it's sticky paste.

It was very good. The chicken was very soft and it was a sweet, mild curry. We have a left overs of three chicken breasts, rice and sauce, so what we have planned for Sunday is that we're going to put it together to make a "Chicken Korma Soup".

We finished the meal with ginger snaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment